Vimri Turf Church

Vimrarkirkja church is one of Iceland's very few turf churches to have been preserved. At the beginning of the 20th century, there was uncertainty about even its fate, but gradually people realised how invaluable it was as a cultural asset. The Keeper of National Antiquities himself, Matthas rarson, took the initiative towards protecting the church, which was eventually purchased by the state and placed under the oversight of the National Museum. Vimri Church is still in use as a parish church.

The church was erected in 1834 by Jn Samsonarson, a carpenter and member of the Althingi. While the exterior sides and roof are covered with turf, the front and rear have wooden facades. The timber frame of the church is clad on the inside with unpainted panelling. To separate the choir from the front of the church, it is behind a decorative screen and has carved crossbeams over its doors. In front of the choir doors on the north side, there is a private seating box with carved, painted pillars and classical motifs.

A second private box, in the southern half of the church, is less elaborately decorated. The pews in the front of the church have carved ends.

Vimri Church is open to visitors daily from 9 am to 6 pm between 1 June and 31 August, but can be opened at other times by arrangement with the caretakers at Vimri farm, Einar rn Einarsson, phone 849 5674 or 453 5095, and Sigrur Stefnsdttir, phone 899 2053.

Contact Us

Tel(+354) 455 6161
info@visitskagafjordur.is

Short Distance Everywhere

Akureyri - Skagafjrur 118 km

Reykjavik - Skagafjrur 290 km

Egilsstair - Skagafjrur 383 km

Map

Skagafjrur Visit Trllaskagi